A first time for everything
So I've always knew there was a few goldsinny around a certain spot in old portsmouth. However, I also knew they were fairly difficult to weed out amongst the smaller corkwing wrasse and blennies that tend to patrol the area. That being said I've always hoped on managing it, and this week I actually did.
The session started well, and earlier than the physical fishing had. Throughout my working day I'm lucky enough to overlook portsmouth harbour and I had seen birds working closer to the camber than I ever had before, so that was my first stop, after 5 or so minutes the birds reappeared and there was bass surfacing around me, managed to tempt one from what turned out to be a very shy shoal. The ecogear straw tail doing the work.
Once the shoal dispersed I switched to the isome and a size 12 barbless hook to dropshot, this was actually an attempt at targeting the previously mentioned goldsinny. Now, that's not to say I wasn't both shocked and over the moon when on the first bite I pulled one up! Proper chuffed with that! I actually wasn't entirely sure if it was a goldsinny but once Lee had arrived to fish with me we assured that it was via the photo.
It didn't matter what else I managed to catch for the rest of the evening as I was delighted but as darkness descended we actually came across some fiesty scad which were great fun!
I also got snapped off (sorry about the black minnow lee) by something a lot bigger, probably a bass. Oddly in the exact same spot I did a few blogs back...I'm gonna have to take the 7-28g rod down there I think!
Another session this evening, here's hoping for more new species! Dragonet or flounder would be great!
Check out my Instagram for more pictures @portsmouthlrf
Comments
Post a Comment