The one that got away

Lee and I headed out for an LRF session around old Portsmouth on Thursday evening, for those of you that know it Old Portsmouth has many nooks and crannies where you can drop a line.

Whilst spoilt for choice on marks, species are often restricted to pollock, wrasse and bass. I'm not complaining about this at all but I'm not gonna say I wouldnt be over the moon for a surprise flounder!

We started off at a low water mark where there was a lot of fry around, at first we were happy with the signs of life but we quickly realised that makes it that bit more difficult, I managed to frustrate a couple of small gobies though.

Once high water had arrived we headed over to probably my favourite spot in the area, Victoria pier. This is where i have had my best sport on my new LRF adventure over the past year or so. There was a nice tidal run over a spot of rocks and weed which screamed bass to us both. Lee was kind enough to lend me a 70mm black minnow in white so I could get a bit of distance. On probably my 3rd cast I got absolutely smashed, real screaming and 7g rod bent over like no one's business. I knew this was definitely the biggest fish I had ever hooked on the LRF set up, and the excitement got the best of me. I was dashing around like a kid after a pack of e-numbers and took my eye off the prize. The fish ran towards me, and the concrete pier, and by the time I had got the tension back it was too late and the fish broke off at the lure knot. Gutted, angry but buzzing was how I felt (but mostly gutted.)

Low and behold 5 minutes later a similar incident happened to Lee. Real screamed, rod bent, fish escaped. Now I got an eye on my fish and it was a bass clearly over 2lb, I would be sure that Lee's was the same. Great fun, but I will always feel gutted about it!

Fish landed by myself during session;
1 bass
2 common gobies

I am trying to add a few photos however the app doesn't seem to like these...check out my Instagram page for regular images @portsmouthlrf

Thanks

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A first time for everything